Skip to main content

Keeping engaged students at the end of the year

Every year I get asked the same questions.  What's next year's theme?  May I use [insert song title] for my solo next year?  What team am I on next year?  May I do [insert dance style] for my solo?  Will I be on team next year?  And every year I respond with the same answers.  Let's finish this year before we talk about next year.  Or talk to me in August.  I know they are excited about the future, and I want them to be.  But, I also need them to stay focused on the present: end of competition season and recital.  And that is the struggle, staying focused on the present.  The start of the year is easy.  Everyone is excited and learning new things and routines.  After winter break, I focus so much on running routines and making sure everything is the best it can be, that I can forget why we are there, because we love to dance.

Fun days
After a big competition have a fun day for part of practice.  We focus so much on the routines and getting ready to perform, that we forget to just relax and be proud of what they have learned and accomplished.  Not sure you can give up the practice time?  Do an end of the year party or bring in a special treat for a break time or end of practice.

Teacher days
Have some of the older students teach parts of their solos or a combination from a workshop to the younger kids.  Have the younger ones teach the older ones.  Bridging the ages only makes for a stronger team.  Plus, if you can teach it, you can do it.

"No" routine days
As the dancers are more confident in their routines, go back to the technique.  Run the routine once at the beginning and once at the end, the rest of the time learn new steps.  It gets very boring to do the same thing over and over week after week.

Go over their goals
I often have the students set goals towards the beginning of the year.  I allow one goal about winning an award because I want them to focus on how to get there.  Goals are usually about mastering (or at least getting better at) a difficult step, behavior and attitudes in class, confidence in a routine or class, etc.  Post the goals on the wall so the students can be reminded of them.  Do something fun or special when they achieve them.  When the students are struggling to stay focused, go over them and make new ones for the remainder of the year.

I will admit, I am not always the best at these.  I get busy with the end of the year and just trying to finish without completely loosing my mind that I overlook the small things that can help keep that dancer engaged for a few more weeks.  My hope is, if we start thinking about the end of the year now, we will keep them engaged longer.  So what do you do when your students are just ready to get the year done?  Feel free to share your ideas on keeping the end of the year just as engaged and exciting as the start of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips for Dance Competitions/Performances

Every year, thousands of dancers travel to various competitions and performances.  Many are veterans to the competition and performance world and have learned tips and tricks to make it through the craziness of the weekend.  To help those parents and dancers who are new, I asked current and former dancers, parents, and teachers about what tips they would give or what they wish they knew their first few years. From  Dancers Be organized Hang your costumes up and put inside a garment bag.  This will keep them safe, clean, and together.  As our teacher says, "You would rather find your costume in the bottom of a garment bag then run over in the parking lot."  Garment bags lay them out a little nicer than just in a duffel bag. Make two check lists of everything you need to pack: costumes, hair stuff, make-up, shoes, etc.  Use one list to pack at home.  Use the other list to pack when you are leaving the competition.   Remember to double check your bags and car be

Packing List for Dance Competitions/Performances

Packing for a dance competition can be very stressful.  Trying to make sure you have every accessory for each costume, the correct costumes and shoes, all your make-up, etc. can become overwhelming.  Plus, every time you attend another competition, a new item gets added to the packing list.  Here are a few tips for making your list and what to pack. Tips for making your list Adapt and change your list as you go along. Type up your list easier to make new copies for each competition easily add or remove items from the list easier to read than some handwriting Communicate with other parents on some of the extra stuff they are bringing.  (You probably only need a few trash bags not a few boxes of them.) Get a sturdy container or bag to hold all of it.  A FatMax toolbox, caboodle, toolbox, diaper bag all work well.  The large 31 bags are good for some of it too.  Dreamduffles or a dyi version is great for the costumes and shoes. Garment bags are a must for costumes.  It keeps

"Decent" Dance

I woke up the other morning to a text from one of my dance parents.  It had a link to a blog article and thanking me for making dance "decent".  So, I opened the link,  Why I Pulled My Daughters Out of Ballet , and started to read.  It reminded me of the many conversations about appropriate dress/costumes, dance moves, and general body image I have had with parents and dancers over the years.  It was a good article about teaching our children to stand up for themselves and not doing things that make us feel uncomfortable, even if told to by an adult.  It was also a reminder for dance educators and parents to not only listen to your children but to not encourage sexualizing them.  I felt proud of myself for a minute.  I stress over the music to make sure it isn't too old or too young.  I analyse the costumes for each student and body type.  I do not allow certain dance steps to be done, because they are, in my opinion, only appropriate in a club.  The stress and worrying i